The Cooper Companies manufactures and markets speciality healthcare products through its CooperVision and CooperSurgical divisions.
CooperVision (CVI), headquartered in Pleasanton, California, US, manufactures and markets a broad range of contact lenses and, following its acquisition of Ocular Sciences in 2005, became one of the most successful players in this market. CVI’s primary offices are in the US and the UK and its manufacturing facilities are located in the US, the UK and Puerto Rico. Its principal markets are the US, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
CooperSurgical (CSI), based on Trumbull, Connecticut, US, manufactures and markets medical devices, diagnostic products and surgical instruments and accessories for women’s healthcare, which are primarily used by gynaecologists and obstetricians. The company has mainly developed through small acquisitions, purchasing over 30 businesses over the last 20 years. The most recent acquisition was in April 2011, when CSI acquired Apple Medical, a developer of obstetric and gynaecology products. CSI’s primary objective is to service the obstetricians and gynaecologists in the US, since the company believes this is a more US-centric profession. However, the company does have a presence in Europe.
CVI’s three largest competitors are Johnson & Johnson’s Vistakon division, CIBA Vision (owned by Novartis) and Bausch & Lomb. Together with CVI, these companies represent almost 95% of the global soft contact lens market.
CSI competes primarily with smaller technology-driven companies that generally offer only one or two product lines. However, the company is now expanding into the significantly larger hospital and out-patient surgical procedure market, which is dominated by larger competitors such as Johnson & Johnson’s Ethicon Endo-Surgery and Ethicon Women’s Health and Urology companies, Boston Scientific, Gyrus ACMI (an Olympus company) and Covidien.
For the financial year ended 31st October 2010 (fiscal 2010), The Cooper Companies reported net income of US$112.8 million on net sales of US$1,158.5 million. This represented increases of 12% and 7%, respectively, when compared with fiscal 2009. CVI generated 84% of The Cooper Companies’ revenue, while CSI accounted for the remaining 16% of net sales.
As of June 2011, The Cooper Companies had a total of approximately 7,100 employees.
This company report provides
Key contact information
Introduction to the company and its current activities
Summary of its financial performance
Who are the company’s major competitors?
Key recent events in an “at a glance” format
Current year and annual financial data, including revenue breakdowns by product area and geographic region (if available)